Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Enrique Iglesias

I work security at the TD Garden so most, if not all of my posts will be chronicling events and hilarious mishaps I run into on a nightly basis. So, this past week the work-season has started up again and already, funny things have been happening on Causeway Street.

First, lets get into the Enrique Iglesias concert that happened last Thursday night. I showed up for work at 6 like I normally do on Tuesdays and Thursdays. I was dreading the concert because lets just say that a Latin-American, closet homo-sexual pop singer isn't my cup of tea. Upon walking into the building however, I noticed a large population of extremely sexy spanish women wearing some very risqué attire. I figured the night wouldn't go so badly.

Pitbull was supposed to open for Enrique and do an hour-long set. I hate Pitbull. His music sounds like loud tribal music with spanish lyrics being screamed in the background. It's obnoxious, loud, and hurts my head to know that he makes millions of dollars every year to produce that garbage. After a quick conversation with my boss, he informed us that we needed to head down to the box office and control the crowd trying to get refunds. Apparently, Pitbull got wrecked and missed his flight so he would not be performing.

Upon walking downstairs, mayhem ensued. There was Spanish people everywhere yelling and screaming about refunds. Now I am far from racist, my girlfriend is from Peru so I'm used to a Spanish argument or two, but this was unlike anything I've ever seen. We estimated about 2,000 people, mostly Latin, wanting refunds. One group told me that they had come all the way from Mexico to see Pitbull and were not even remotely interested in the main act, which of course was Enrique. After a few people were evicted for recklessness and some 2 hours of chaos, most people got refunds and left a considerable amount of space in the arena.

When I finally got into the arena, Enrique was already performing. I would be pissed if I was an Enrique/Pitbull fan and bought tickets to this show. Some schmuck nobody ever has heard of performed from 7-7:30. Pitbull was supposed to go on from 8-9:15 and Enrique was supposed to go on from 9:45-11. So Pitbull  didn't show up and I heard Enrique didn't get on stage until 10. So basically people were just sitting inside the building from 7:30-10ish. I didn't get to see too much of the show because I kept running back and forth from First-Aid trying to write reports on underage drunk girls who threw up all over themselves and needed to be transported to Mass General. From what I did see however, Enrique was doing some weird stuff. At one point he pulled a rather larger woman onto the stage and held onto her for the performance of an entire song. She was loving it. Probably one of the more uncomfortable things I've ever seen. A 5 minute embrace onstage during a slow Enrique song. After the song was over Enrique kissed the woman from the crowd and jumped into a box backstage where they wheeled him to his limo as he made his escape from the building around 10:45pm.

I wonder where a metrosexual latin pop singer spends his Thursday nights in Boston. Probably in Chelsea or Everett. Yeah, that's what I would assume.

7 comments:

  1. Nice. I like the usage of the word "Schmuck".

    -Isaac

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the part where you subtly shit on Chelsea and Everett.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Once at a kings of leon show I saw two people having sex in the one of the hallways that lead to the seating. So me and about 1,000 other people got an eye full.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ha ha! Very funny. That's not a concert I think I would have enjoyed either, though I do like the song "I Like It".

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a great read and you have the best job ever.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh underaged girls at concerts, apparently it never gets old for them. I'm not from around here, what is so bad about Chelsea and Everett?

    ReplyDelete